Outdoor furniture is designed to withstand exposure to the elements, including rain and moisture. However, the level of protection and durability of the furniture will depend on the materials used and quality of construction.
Materials used in outdoor furniture
Some of the most common materials used in outdoor furniture include:
1. Wood: Woods such as teak, cedar, and eucalyptus are resistant to moisture, rot, and decay. However, they require regular maintenance, such as cleaning and oiling, to retain their quality and appearance.
2. Metal: Aluminum, wrought iron, and steel are popular choices for outdoor furniture. They are sturdy and resistant to weathering, but may rust or corrode over time.
3. Synthetic: Synthetic materials such as plastic, resin, and wicker are durable and require minimal maintenance. However, they may fade or crack after prolonged exposure to sunlight and rain.
Protection and maintenance of outdoor furniture
To protect your outdoor furniture from moisture, rain, and other weather elements, here are some tips to follow:
1. Use furniture covers: Furniture covers provide added protection and prevent rainwater from seeping into the furniture’s surface. Cover your furniture when not in use, especially during the rainy season.
2. Regularly clean: Cleaning your outdoor furniture regularly helps to remove dirt, dust, and other debris that accumulate over time. Use soap, water, and a non-abrasive cloth to clean your furniture. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners as they may damage the furniture’s surface.
3. Store during winter: If you live in an area with harsh winters, store your outdoor furniture indoors during the winter months. This will protect it from snow and other harsh weather elements.
In summary, outdoor furniture can withstand rain and moisture provided you use materials and constructions that are resistant to rot and decay. However, regular cleaning and maintenance are essential to ensure your furniture remains in good condition. Remember to cover your furniture when not in use and store it indoors during harsh weather conditions. By following these tips, you can enjoy your outdoor furniture for many years.